Sunday, November 14, 2010

A-League Football

Hey all,

Welcome to my first blog.

I've just finished watching the Brisbane Roar take on the Melbourne Heart - finished 2-1 to Brisbane - and I've got to say it's the best game of A - League football I've seen this season. Great end to end football and so good to see the away side (Brisbane) not shutting up shop and settling for a draw.

Special praise must go to Ange Postacoglu who wore a lot of stick when he took over last season. Craig Moore, Danny Tiatto and Charlie Millar - all veteran pro's and former internationals were shown the door in an outstanding show of strength and confidence by Ange and his team who wouldn't be dictated too. In doing so Postacoglu seems to have been able to mould a team that is the physical manifestation of his footballing vision.

I remember Levant Osman, a former age group Australian rep and Football King, telling me back in around 99 that Ange was the manager the Kingz should have hired to replace the Rufers and raving about how well he gelled teams together and promoted positive football.

Looks like Lev's prophecy is coming to fruition with a different team and a few years down the track. Now before you think I'm some Queensland football sycophant - let me reassure you that I'm all about kiwi football but the game I watched this evening embodied what I'm sure we'd all love to see fom the A - League on a week to week basis.

1 comment:

  1. I watched the game as well Ric. There was a lot of pace and as you say, end to end football. The free running and open play has been sadly lacking of recent times, but this match had it all. I feel the Heart had the better of the game and could have taken the points had they not lapsed at the back in the final 25 minutes. Once they went behind there seemed to be a lack of focus. Roar on the other hand capitalised on the advantage and pressed on.

    ReplyDelete